US Customs and Border Protection Officials announced that as of September 5, 2018 they will be replacing the older Small Vessel Reporting System with the new CBP ROAM app. This change will take place after the conclusion of one of our biggest boating weekends of the year and will go into effect September 5, 2018.
Many ROAM app users have boasted about the effectiveness and efficiency of returning home with the new app eliminating the need to wait dockside for clearance. Now they can dial in with the preloaded passenger info and trip information and complete the process by video chat.
Here’s how the USCBP ROAM works:
- Download the app to your smart phone.
- Complete the necessary biographical information for each person on the vessel.
- Provide the necessary trip information regarding your foreign travels.
- Conduct the video chat with the USCBP officer that will meet all of the reporting requirements.
- For most boaters this means you can proceed to your homeward destination without having to report to CBP in person. You will receive a notification and email with clearance or further instructions.
- For expedited processing, individuals without a Trusted Traveler number may also apply to enroll as a “Verified Traveler” through the CBP ROAM app; approved travelers will receive a Verified Traveler number that can be used for future trips.
What circumstances will I be required to report following video reporting?
- If an I-94 form or other document is required for your US return.
- If customs duties must be paid.
- If other relevant circumstances exist.
Visit USCBP ROAM APP for full details and instructions on how to download and use the app.
For boating information on Bimini, visit https://biggameclubbimini.com.